My marathon training has now entered week 6 of 16 weeks – so we have 10 to go before I actually try to run my first 26.2 miles (I did the math just in case you could not 😉)
I think I may have become a little deranged. My long run today is 14 miles. I need to complete this before the sun is high enough to strip the skin off my body or reduce me to a pool of water. My running prep is now thus…..
– wake up 5 am (Jesus it’s dark)
– eat a carefully planned oatmeal, with seeds, honey and banana. Complex carbs, simple sugars and protein (check) – as I may just starve on the way round – eating at 5 means. I have 90 mins to get that sucker down and not vomit at mile 6.
– drink a large, fully loaded coffee, a) to wake me up and b) to evacuate the colon and large intestine – so there will be no Paula Radcliffe’s happening mid run. (Google Paula Radcliffe London Marathon shit)
– as I’ll be running at temperatures between 80F and 95F with humidity – I need to drink 7 oz of water 90 mins before I leave. Hydration is key.
– charge headphones – as banging house tunes may be the only way to get through the last couple of miles. Or “We are the champions”, a la Queen. Please do not judge my over 40 year old tastes?!?
– sunglasses – check
– hat – check
– sunscreen – check
– no blister socks – check
– 4 water bottles filled with electrolyte water – check
– running belt – check
– fancy Brooks sneakers – check
– phone charged – check
– Garmin Fenix 5 charged – bugger I need to do that, hold on, – check
– now time to do stretch’s – I am now 41 I need to do this or I may just seize up and fall over. Not cool.
– energy gels for over mile 10, again I need everything I can to do this shit. – check
– oh and the important part, actually pull on shorts and a running top, I’m not sure the world is really ready for me running naked. 😂
Phew I think that’s it ….. Start running at exactly 6.30 am .
Who said this was simple ?
Oh my goodness I wish I’d read this before I started 1000 kms through France! You know all the right things about food and hydration. Wonderful post! Thanks! Katie x
LikeLiked by 1 person